This course is designed to prepare fire department incident safety officers to meet and exceed the specific job functions as identified in NFPA 1521: Standard for Fire Department Safety Officer. The course covers the fundamental coverage of job functions for successful handling of incidents involving hazardous materials, technical rescue, wildland fire, and other disasters along with the critical skills required to be a proficient safety officer, including the processes of reading smoke, anticipating risk, predicting building collapse, and improving firefighter rehabilitation.
- This is a self-paced blended learning delivery course.
- The first 30 days of the class will be instructor-led through an online portal.
- The last 3 days of class participants will meet in-person and is required for testing and skills evaluation.
- This course requires a computer with Internet access.
- Students should bring an Internet-capable laptop to class.