- Basic Fire Fighter Skills
- or Firefighter I certification
- Equivalent programs will be considered with documentation of completion
One of the least recognized aspects of fire threat is the vehicle fire. Due to recent changes in vehicle design and construction firefighters are forced to change the way vehicle fires are fought. This course will present safe and efficient strategies and tactics to extinguish vehicles fires based upon: vehicle design; operating fuel, construction materials; location; and ignition and coolant systems. Students will participate in live fire evolutions using a vehicle firefighting simulator.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): The following gear is required to participate: helmet, bunker coat, bunker pants with boots, and gloves that met the NFPA standard 1971 at the time of purchase.
- Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA): Participants attending should bring their own pressure-demand type self-contained breathing apparatus and one spare cylinder. All air cylinders must be within hydrostatic date or will not be refilled and should be marked with departmental identification. Breathing apparatus must meet NFPA standard 1981. In addition participants must provide a Nomex or PBI protective hood. Individuals with beards, sideburns or other hair styles that interfere with the proper seal of a breathing apparatus face piece will not be allowed to participate in classes requiring SCBA use.
Note: Protective hoods over beards are not approved.